November 17, 2010

Expanding My Horizons

When I set out to do the 30 Character Challenge I imagined it as a very involved writing challenge. I certainly never expected to get all visual arts with it. 

It started small: finding a few photos for the initial set and doctoring up one or two. Then the entire second set was made up of handwritten notes. A fun way, I thought, to visually bring the reader into the characters' world.

But then there's this! I began by doing some drawings for a mini-set earlier this week. That was fun. I hadn't drawn that much in years and I was really happy to see how quickly my limited drawings skills came back to me (I did two of those off photo references, so it's not like I was drawing off the cuff). This lead directly to me trying something more ambitious.

I started with the pencil sketch of The Omega Kid. There were a lot of areas to cover in black and I didn't think the pencil was doing it justice. So I said "let's go for it!" I traced the original drawing on a clean piece of paper, using very light pencils. Then I found the only decent pen I had at home, a blue Pilot uniball, and inked it. Then I scanned the inked version, opened it in GIMP, flipped the pen lines to black and colored it.

Wow! That was a lot of fun! Here are images to show you the progression from sketch to inks to final product:

  

And if you'd like to learn more about this character, you can check out the first script in the series right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment